Materials needed (Oven Method):
- Therapeutic Grade Herb - I cannot stress this enough! It must be therapeutic grade, not soap grade or you are wasting valuable oil.
- Cold pressed Vegetable Oil that is readily absorbed (Almond or Sunflower are best)- High Oleic Sunflower has a longer shelf life, I prefer to use this as there is a least likely chance of allergies.
- Vitamin E (Optional)
- Mason jar-
- Muslin bags or cloth.
- Dark Amber bottle
- Stuff as many plant parts as possible into the mason jar.
- Fill the jar with your chosen oil to the top.
- Let sit for a few minutes until all the air bubbles escape.
- Fill again.
- Repeat steps 1-5 until the jar is full and no air bubbles relaim. Stirring the mixture with a VERY clean spoon (preferably sterile) helps the process go quicker.
- Place closed mason jar in a pan filled with water (like a double boiler).
- Place in the oven on the lowest temperature for 4-6 hours checking often.
- When the oil is infused allow to cool and pour oil into a clean glass container.Remove the oil soaked herb and using a muslin bag or potato press, squeeze the herb so the oil drains into the same container. This is the most concentrated oil and you want to keep it.
- Continue to do this until no oil can be squeezed out. It will take muscle strength and patience.
- Discard the herb (or in the case of some herbs, save to add as colourant for soap later).
Let the infused oil sit overnight covered to allow all the sediment to fall to the bottom.Run the oil through muslin cloth again and bottle in dark amber bottles. Adding Vitamin E to the oil will prolong it's shelf life. (Add it at a rate of 100IU to 1oz of oil).
Crockpot Method (depending on your low setting on your crockpot, you may burn the herb):
More to come....